Our favourite way to spoil friends and family on their birthday is to make them a gorgeous homemade cake.
This week on our blog we're whipping up our Best Ever Birthday Cake Recipe. It's quick, easy and best of all totally delicious. Guaranteed to bring a smile on their special day!
- 375g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 500g caster sugar
- 80g cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 200g melted butter
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 300g chopped dark chocolate
- 250g butter, softened
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sprinkles and toppings to decorate
- In a large mixing bowl, or your standing mixer bowl, add the flour, baking soda, salt, caster sugar and cocoa, them mix on slow until combined.
- Add the eggs and milk, then mix on slow again until combined (it will be thick!). Pour in the melted butter and hot coffee, then mix on medium until just combined.
- Pour the mixture evenly into two 8 inch round cake tins, that have been greased and lined with baking paper.
- Bake at 180 degrees celsius fanbake for 40-50 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Once the tins are cool-to-touch, remove the cakes from the tins, peel away the paper, and cool completely before icing.
- While the cakes bake, make the ganache icing. Melt the chocolate in 30 second bursts in the microwave, or use a bain marie. Once melted, stir in the softened butter and mix until the butter melts in completely. Finally, mix in the olive oil, then leave the icing to set slightly (you want it to be a nice smooth texture but not too runny).
- Once your cakes are completely cool, cut off the rounded tops with a sharp knife, so they are neat and level on top.
- Spread half the icing evenly over the top of one cake, then pop the other cake on top to make a sandwich. Spread the remaining icing evenly over the top of the cake, and finish with a nice swirl or a piped boarder, if you fancy. Top with your favourite chocolate, fruit or sprinkles (or all of the above!). Don't forget the candles!